Thursday, May 18, 2006

I hada bad run and actually got down below even for the year, but then made a rally and got a little up. The following story was the last hand that I played on the night I got back up.

Everyone but Anthony, Aaron, and myself had already gone home, most of them with empty pockets. We didn't want to quit playing early, and after all, it was nostalgic for the three of us to sit around the table playing poker. I was getting a little bored,so I proposed a progressive game to ramp up theaction just a little. Five card stud, with a progressive bet or fold, going from the dollar ante to five dollars on the end, and of course, after the minimum it was still no-limit. Anthony's been dumping cash to Aaron and myself, and Aaron's been rat-holing some of it away. He's left himself without about twenty-five dollars in chips on the table, and he announces while he's dealing that he's looking for a hand to go all-in. We're playing roll your own show card, and I'm dealt king-queen, left of the deal. I roll the king, representing either an amazingly strong hand, or avoiding going first. It's a deceptive game. Anthony comes out small and immediately folds, and then Aaron announces that he thinks this might be the hand to go all-in on. He looks at his cards, nonchalantly says, "Nope," and rolls over another king, throwing in the two dollar must bet as he was left of the low hand, which was folded. I thought about it, and decided that with my queen in the hole I was a favorite to win over whatever Aaron had in the hole. I told him, "Well, I'll go ahead and put you all-in." I figure him to fold and let me have the antes and his two dollars, but he immediately calls, and he rolls over another king from the hole. I'm thunderstruck. It was the best play that I had ever seen from Aaron. He practically sent me a written invitation to put him all in and I fell for it. He was jubilant, and I can't say as I blame him. There was quite a delay in which I was taking a ribbing from both Aaron and Anthony, so I started rolling over the cards to see how they played out. After all, I still had some outs, though some pretty thin ones. My fourth card was the fourth and final king. My miracle card. Aaron lost all his chips on his best play anyone could remember.

1 Comments:

Blogger I changed my name so it wouldn't be so nasty! said...

I personally don't think it's the best hand I ever played, but it was still a good one. That's okay, at least I have you some more money to play with next time... which I will end up with anyway.

5:02 PM, May 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home