Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Saturday night I went back to Anthony's to play a few mini-tournaments. I entered three for ten dollars apiece and left empty-handed. Aaron and Anthony facetiously asked me if I would blog about the experience but really nothing sepctacular enough happened to be worth comment, except that I just never got enough good hands to make a run at the thing. I do remember being near chip-leader in the second tournament, and attempting to steal the blinds, and being called by Anthony's AQ that he limped in with. He drew out with a queen I think and destroyed my chances. Other than that, it was an evening of blinding down to the nub with bad cards, and then hitting brick walls to put me out when I tried to make a move with mediocre cards. Aaron asked for a special mention, and since he did put me out of the first tournament, I should facetiously say that his play was just unbelievably solid. Really it was a night full of luck, as Ronnie, Jeffrey, and Brandon all walked out with a share of our money.

Last night I travelled to Clay City to engage the usual crown in a cash game. Tina went with me, and lost ten dollars, but then dealt and recouped close to five in tips. I got downa couple dollars, but with the people at the table and the stacks, I decided to go ahead and reload. That paid off, as I turned it into a little over thriy before it got down to me and Kyle at the end. We batted chips around for a couple hours with not much change in either direction. Only two memorable hands and they were back to back and they cancelled each other out. One involved me catching the nuts at Mexican Stud (one down, three up, one down) and misfiguring Kyle's hand. I got him for five dollars, but he said he would have gone all-in. We started playing what may become my new road game directly after that, and due to a slight fuzziness of thinking on my part, I over-called about three or four dollars before I realized I was all but locked out. The game was Mexican Stud Low, with the caveat that all face cards were wild. That may seem like a completely silly game to some, and really it is, but I'm not against playing some silly games because I figure I am a favorite to understand them quicker and better, and look for advantages. The trick in this particular game is to assume that a hand is low, and watch only the high cards (eights, nines, tens, and pairs) that must of course still be used to make the low five card hand. In other words, all the wild cards in the world won't help you if you still have a pair of sixes showing. At the end of the evening, Kyle and I found out that the pot was short. This was of course very irritating. From now, and Cory agrees. we should elect one person banker who is responsible for handling all the money and the chips. That person would be responsible for covering any shortages in money, and would collect a small fee from each buy-in, say two chips.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home