Tuesday, July 26, 2005

This was a pretty good weekend for the Eppersons in poker terms, despite the misgivings of Friday evening. I mentioned earlier that I breezed through two tournaments, but I neglected to mention that I did so partially on two sets of quads. Both of them paid significantly, as the first one (twos) knocked Rachel out of the first tournament, and the second one (fours) gave me my initial chip lead over Kyle in the second tournament. I managed to be stoic throughout the process, which has gotten easier through the years. My twos came slowly, as all I had on the flop was K-2 with something like 8-9-2 on the board. The betting was light, or non-existent, and the turn of course came two. I bet a little and got called. The river came two, and I bet a little more and got raised, and, smelling blood, I raised all-in. Rachel had trips on the flop if I remember right, and turned them into a boat on the turn. Who can blame her for slow-playing a little bit? That will only bite you in the ass once in a great while. That time it did. The second set wasn't nearly as dramatic, as I rolled up fours, and hit trips on the flop for no investment past my big blind. Easy to play. River made quads, and I was lucky enough to be in against flat freakin' nothing but a drunk man with chips.Neither of those sets of quads was my big hand of the weekend though. We played last night, and I set it up mostly as appeasement to Tina since I went to Lexington to visit with Aaron without her. We played straight cash and I just kept hammering at everybody all night, except for Tina. She got up a few dollars. Eventually it got down to me, Tina, and Cory, and Cory had about ten or twelve dollars, and just kept floating up and down. He got down to about $9.20, and I offered him for the second time that night to fill him up to $10.00 and all of us go home, but he vowed to never give up. Which was admirable, and perhaps not entirely unwise, considering we were risking twice as much every hand as he was. We had been playing differing games since Nathan had exited earlier in the evening, and finally Cory thought to play a little Three Card Molly high, which is not to be confused with the sucker game Three Card Monte, which is a shell game with cards. In Three Card Molly, you play just like Five Card Draw, only you only get three cards, you draw up to three times, and 3 aces is the best hand. I rolled up a pair of tens and a 3, which is of course a power hand to begin with, and I bet it mildly after Tina checked. Cory and Tina both called. I drew a nine, and Cory drew two, while Tina drew three. I bet bet mildly again, and was raised by a little by Cory. I just called, smelling a power play later on. I drew my third ten, which is akin to a straight flush to the ten in regular poker, and was raised considerably! I thought of re-raising by the same amount, but it occurred to me that Cory had a pretty good hand. I at first thought he might be bluffing, and I wanted to bilk him out of a little more since he might have pot odds to call, but then I decided he was going to call my all-in bet, which way over-chipped him. I bet it, and he called with almost no hesitation. I showed him the tens and he showed me a pair of queens. We remembered that he had another draw coming, so he still had a chance to draw out one of the two queens in the deck to beat me. To add insult to his injury, he drew an ace.I should also mention that Tina won a nice chunk of change last night when her straight to the ace became a royal flush on the river, and made someone else's flush. They say that is a once-in-a-lifetime hand. I know it pleased her. I think she still has time for another one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home